Monday, July 25, 2011

Chocolate Chip Coconut Banana Bread

Yields: 2 loaves
This Week for Dinner
(My substitutions in parenthesis)

1¼ cup sugar (I used Splenda)
½ cup (1 stick) margarine, softened (I used applesauce)
2 eggs (I used 4 egg whites)
1½  cup mashed ripe bananas
½ cup buttermilk (I used a teaspoon of lemon juice and ½ cup skim milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2½  cup flour (I used whole wheat flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 cup mini chocolate chips
¾ cup shredded coconut
(original recipe calls for 1 C chopped pecans or walnuts instead of the coconut)

Heat oven to 350, grease bottom only of 2 loaf pans.

Mix sugar with margarine/butter. Stir in eggs. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, soda until just moistened – do not over stir! Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.

Bake 1 hour 15 minutes, until top and edges are browned and the center looks cooked. Cool 5 minutes in pan and then on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment